It’s official: United orders 150 firm Boeing jets (100 Max, 50 900ERs)
Jeff Smisek, CEO United
- 100 737 Max 9
- 50 737-900ERs, replaces 757s flown domestically.
Jim McNerney, CEO The Boeing Co.
- Thanks to UA for putting trust in us.
- Boeing and United go back a long, long way. Once part of the same company.
- Boeing has delivered more than 1,400 airplanes to United and Continental.
- With today’s order, the 737 program has now surpassed 10,000 orders.
Ray Conner, President Boeing Commercial Airplanes
- The 737 MAX like the 787 will provide customers best solution in air transport.
- Will provide greater value in fuel efficiency. MAX, like the NG, is perfect match for United.
- $14bn value, NG delivery begins in 2013. (Where did Boeing come up with delivery positions next year?–Editor.)
- -900ERs replace 757s domestically, 9 MAX will replace other, less fuel efficient aircraft including A320s. We have 152 Airbus airplanes today.
- First 787 due in late September. McNerney has personally guaranteed this.
- We had extensive discussions with Airbus and Boeing. Spent almost the past year in discussions with engine and airframe manufacturers.
- We’ll finance aircraft as we get closer to delivery.
- Deciding factors we negotiated what we believe to be the best airplane with the best engines at the best price.